Thursday, October 18, 2012
Calls for service included small fires and a gas leak.
- PUBLIC SAFETY
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Communication officers with Barrow County Emergency Services were busy last week with many different types of calls, according to a news release. From Oct. 7 through 13, communication officers received a total of 3,389 calls into the county communication center, with 1,158 calls coming through the 911 lines. As a result, the communication center dispatched public safety employees to a total of 1,013 incidents. Firefighters with Barrow County Emergency Services were dispatched to 133 fire and EMS incidents, which included the following: Subscribe to Barrow Patch’s newsletters, follow us on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook.
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Firefighters worked overnight Sunday battling the large mulch fire at a Barrow recycling center.
Firefighters with Barrow County Emergency Services spent Sunday afternoon through Monday morning battling a large mulch fire at a recycling plant off Barrow Industrial Parkway. Communication officers received a 911 call shortly before 4:45 p.m. reporting the fire. “Upon arrival of firefighters flames were visible from the tops of a large pile of mulch,” Lt. Scott Dakin, public information office for the department, said in a news release. “Upon further investigation several piles were burning and the fire was spreading towards other piles of mulch on the property as well as a piece of equipment utilized by the recycling company.” Engines 7, 4, 3 and 31 and Ladder Truck 7 responded to the scene. Working with the staff of the recycling …
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
The building, located at the corner of East Athens Street and Broad Street, suffered water damage.
Faulty wiring in a ceiling air conditioning unit caused a fire Tuesday in a downtown Winder building. The fire occurred between 8:30 and 9 a.m. in abandoned office space above Broad Street Finance Company and Skip's Hawaiian Shaved Ice at the corner of East Athens and Broad streets. "My biggest fear is a fire dowtown and we had a close call today," Winder Fire Chief Matt Whiting said during Tuesday night's Winder City Council meeting. While firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, the building suffered water damage. Winder Mayor David Maynard thanked Whiting and Chief of Police Dennis Dorsey for their prompt response and efforts. "What I saw, you both did a great job, all your crews did," Maynard said. Subscribe to …
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
The fire started in unoccupied office space in a building at the corner of East Athens and Broad streets.
The cause of a fire that started on the unoccupied second floor of a downtown Winder building is under investigation. The fire occurred between 8:30 and 9 a.m. today in abandoned office space above Broad Street Finance Company at the corner of East Athens and Broad streets, Winder Fire Chief Matt Whiting said. While firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, the building suffered water damage. Broad Street Finance Company is closed as a result. Subscribe to Barrow Patch’s newsletters, follow us on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook.