A coroner is saying the drink was a contributing factor.
Tuesday, February 12
Are you looking for a doctor in Barrow County? Use the Barrow Patch directory to find local health care providers. A New Zealand woman's death is being partially blamed on drinking too much Coca-Cola. The Sydney Morning Herald reports a coroner has determined the soda was a contributing factor in the death of 30-year-old Natasha Harris, who died in February 2010 from from cardiac arrhythmia. According to the report, evidence showed Harris drank up to 10 liters of Coca-Cola every day — more than 2-and-a-half gallons — which is equal to more than twice the recommended safe daily limit of caffeine, and almost one kilogram, or about 2.2 pounds, of sugar, more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake. The report says those ingredients, …
The beverage was served in an Atlanta pharmacy on this date in 1886.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
The first Coca-Cola was sold to the public at the soda fountain of Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta on May 8, 1886. The drink had been invented by John Pemberton, an Atlanta pharmacist. He came up with the formula in a three-legged, brass kettle in his backyard. Bookkeeper Frank Robinson suggested the name and wrote “Coca-Cola” in the flowing script that has become the product’s logo. Initial sales were slow. Only about nine servings of the soft drink were sold each day, which meant only about $50 worth was sold the first year. Until 1905, the soft drink was marketed as a tonic. Indeed, it was, because its ingredients included extracts of cocaine as well as the caffeine-rich kola nut. In 1887, Atlanta pharmacist and businessman Asa Candler …