Firefighters with were busy early this week responding to several calls for service from Monday afternoon through early Tuesday morning.
The first fire was reported to communication officers through the 911 lines at 2:28 p.m.
“Firefighters responded to the 200 block of Pierce Road and found a home that was heavily involved in fire,” Lt. Scott Dakin, public information officer, said in a news release.
Engine 4, Ladder Truck 7, Med 4, Med 7 and Battalion 1 responded to this call. Firefighters found heavy fire in the rear of the structure and had to fight the fire from outside the structure as the fire had already broken through the roof presenting the potential for a collapse.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended grill, and a family of five was displaced as a result of the blaze.
At 8:46 p.m., a 911 call was received reporting a fire in the 200 block of Lucas Way. The caller said the house had been struck by lightning and she could smell smoke in the home.
Engines 1 and 6, Med Units 1 and 5 and Battalion 1 responded and found light smoke in the structure. The fire had occurred in the dryer, after the home had been struck by lightning, and had been extinguished prior to firefighters' arrival. Crews removed the smoke from the home.
At 1:41 a.m. Tuesday, communication officers received a 911 call reporting a structure fire in the 2500 block of Marixa Drive. Engines 1 and 6 and Med 6 responded to find an outbuilding heavily involved in fire. The fire had extended to the surrounding woods, but firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control. The fire occurred after the outbuilding had been struck by lightning.
Firefighters were dispatched to two other homes Monday night to investigate reports of lightning strikes. In both situations firefighters found breakers that had tripped but no damage to the homes.
At 3:18 a.m. Tuesday, a 911 call was received reporting a tractor-trailer fire at Interstate 85 just south of Ga. Highway 211. Engine 5 and Med 5 responded and found a trailer pulled to the side of the interstate with fire coming from the rear axle. Firefighters knocked the fire down from the axle and wheels and noticed smoke coming from the trailer. They also noted placards on the truck indicating a hazardous material was in the trailer.
The interstate was shut down and the incident commander made the decision to contact Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services and request their hazardous material response team.
A plastic tote containing a corrosive liquid was found to have been damaged by the flames and had leaked out of the trailer and onto the pavement. The chemical was contained to the shoulder of the interstate. The trucking company contacted a private contractor who responded to the scene to clean up the spill and area affected.
“We want to thank Gwinnett County Fire for coming out and assisting us on this call, the level of professionalism that was shown in the early morning hours brought about a successful conclusion," Lieutenant Blair Darst, who was the incident commander for the call, said in a news release. “With the help of Braselton Police, Barrow County Sheriff’s Office, Georgia State Patrol, Department of Transportation, Environmental Protection Agency, and the trucking company we were able to handle the call with no danger to the citizens or the environment.”