When firefighters arrived at the home in the 1400 block of Hog Mountain Road, smoke was visible and all of the residents were out of the structure. Firefighters entered the home to locate the source of the smoke and found fire in the flooring around a fireplace and in the attic. The fire, according to Barrow County Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Scott Dakin, had spread from the fireplace into the flooring and attic.
"Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish all the fire," Dakin said in a released statement. "Crews then worked to remove smoke from the home and ensure the fire had not spread anywhere else in the home."
Officials determined the fireplace had been improperly converted from a gas fireplace to a wood-burning fireplace. The heat from the fire had ignited the surrounding structure.
“We want to let citizens know that if you have a gas fireplace and want to convert it to a solid fuel fireplace you need to ensure it is done to proper standards to ensure it functions properly,” Dakin said. “We also recommend having the conversion inspected by a professional.”
Want to be notified each time a new fire or crime story is posted? Go to the Barrow Patch police and fire page and click on "Get email updates." Have a crime or public safety alert to share with the community? Post an alert.