A home fire displaced a Barrow family of five Tuesday, Feb. 21.
Communication officers with Barrow County Emergency Services received a 911 call at 3:14 p.m. Tuesday reporting a structure fire in the 30 block of Huckleberry Lane in Winder.
“Upon arrival firefighters found moderate smoke showing from the residence,” Battalion Chief Mike Stoops said in a news release. “Crews made entry and found fire in the kitchen area of the home. They made an aggressive attack on the fire and quickly brought the flames under control.”
Engines 3 and 6, Med 3 and 6 and Battalion 1 responded to the fire.
Two adults and three children were displaced and the American Red Cross responded to assist the family.
The Fire Investigation Team responded and determined the cause of the fire to be a grease fire on the stove.
“We want to remind citizens that a grease fire can happen very quickly and can get out of control very fast,” Lt. Scott Dakin, public information officer for Barrow County Emergency Services, said in the release. “Citizens should be aware of how to properly extinguish grease fires and if they can not control the fire to leave the residence immediately and call 911.”
Water should never be used on a grease fire, as it will cause flames to spread. The easiest way to control a grease fire is to placing a lid over the flames. Residents should use extreme caution when using a glass lid, which can shatter when heated.
Barrow County Emergency Services recommends having a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen that is capable of extinguishing small fires and knowing how to operate the extinguisher.
What do you do to keep yourself and your family safe in the event of a fire? Tell us in comments.