Family of Four Displaced and 100 Year Old Home Damaged in Early Morning House Fire

Home damaged and family displaced after home fire that appears to have started in chimney.

A home that is estimated to be over 100 years old was heavily damaged by an early morning fire in the 300 block of Carl Bethlehem Road on Wednesday, Oct. 31.

“Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke showing from the house. We also found fire coming from the windows in the rear of the house,” stated Battalion Chief Mike Stoops in a press release from Barrow County Emergency Services.

According to the press release, crews were able to quickly bring the flames under control by making an aggressive interior attack on the fire. The fire appears to have started in one of the home’s chimneys.

The following units responded to this fire: Engine 3, Ladder Truck 7, Med 3, Med 7 and Battalion 1.

Lieutenant Scott Dankin gave the following advice in the press release, “With colder weather coming, we want to remind all citizens to have their chimneys and fireplaces cleaned and inspected. We also want to remind them when cleaning their fireplaces after using them, they need to keep in mind that the ashes can be hot for several days and will need to be disposed of properly.”

A family of four was displaced by the above fire.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »