.

Barrow Firefighters Have Busy Holiday With Three Structure Fires and Three Grass Fires

One of the fires resulted from a turkey fryer that overflowed.

Barrow County firefighters handled several fires over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Credit: Kristi Reed
Barrow County firefighters handled several fires over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Credit: Kristi Reed
While residents were celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday with friends and families, Barrow County emergency services personnel were hard at work.

On Nov. 27 at 6 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire in the 200 block of Punkin Junction Road.

"Firefighters made an aggressive attack on the fire and were able to quickly stop the fire shortly after arrival," said Barrow County Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Scott Dakin in a released statement. "One bedroom was fully involved upon arrival with fire extending into the hallway."    

The family was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm. The third floor of the home sustained extensive fire damage and the first and second floors have smoke and water damage. Two adults and three teenagers were displaced as a result of the fire.

On Thanksgiving morning just before 10:15 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to a fire in the 700 block of Muirfield Drive. The fire, caused when a turkey fryer boiled over and ignited the wood deck, had been extinguished by the homeowner before firefighters arrived.

On Friday, Nov. 29, crews were dispatched to a possible fire in the 400 block of Lisa Circle. The homeowner had been using the self-cleaning feature on their oven and the appliance had caught on fire. Firefighters found no fire, but the oven was full of smoke and was removed from the residence.

Also on Friday, firefighters responded to two grass fires. The first, on Pinebrook Road, was caused when a resident dumped ashes from a grill onto dry grass. By the time firefighters arrived, a small john boat, a fence and a large area of grass was on fire. 

"Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control," Dakin said.

Later that day, a small area of grass caught on fire in the 400 block of Wall Road. A resident had been burning leaves and the wind caused the fire to spread. 

On Saturday, firefighters were dispatched to a grass fire in the 2100 block of Atlanta Highway.

"Upon arrival firefighters found between 1/2 an acre and 1 acre of grass and woods burning," Dakin said. "The wind was quickly blowing the fire into a large wooded area. Firefighters were able to quickly bring this fire under control."

The fire started when embers from a burn barrel blew onto dry grass.

"Citizens are reminded that they must obtain a burn permit from Georgia Forestry before conducting any outdoor burning and should monitor the weather before starting a fire," Dakin advised. "You should be aware how quickly fires can get out of control in windy conditions. You also need to stay with the fire until it is completely extinguished and have a way to extinguish the fire if necessary." 
 

Want to be notified each time a new fire or crime story is posted? Go to the Barrow Patch police and fire page and click on "Get email updates." Have a crime or public safety alert to share with the community? Post a crime alert.

  

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something