After all the holiday cheer, Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful (KACCB) encourages citizens to bring their undecorated Christmas tree to the Annual “Bring One for the Chipper” event and recycle it for free. The event, scheduled for January 5th, from 9am to 1pm, is now the largest TREE-cycling program in the nation.
Participants that recycle their tree during the January 5th event will receive a free tree seedling and/or flower and vegetable seed packets. Seedling species include: Dogwood, Red Maple, Yellow Poplar, and Bald Cypress.
Although the Barrow Elementary School site is closed this year due to construction, Clarke Middle School has graciously offered to be a drop-off location for residents who have traditionally recycled their tree at Barrow. The following are the drop-off locations for Bring One for the Chipper:
- Cofer’s Home and Garden Showplace – 1145 Mitchell Bridge Road
- Sandy Creek Nature Center – 205 Old Commerce Road
- Chase Street Elementary School – 757 North Chase Street
- Clarke Middle School – 1235 Baxter Street
- Georgia Square Mall Theater Recycling Center – 3710 Atlanta Highway
- Winterville Public Works Recycling Center – Corner of Church and Parkview Streets
- Lexington Road Tag Office Recycling Center – 3025 Lexington Road
KACCB has partnered with Junk South to remove Christmas trees from the homes of Athens-Clarke County’s elderly, disabled, and veteran residents as a courtesy for those who are unable to access the Bring One for the Chipper drop-off sites. To request a complimentary tree removal, citizens must be 65 years of age or older and residents of Athens-Clarke County. To request removal, please call KACCB at 706-613-3501 ext 312 with their name, address, and phone number. Appointments will then be arranged directly with Junk South.