Several medical businesses in north Georgia have been billing Medicare for dead patients, according to an investigative report.
WSB-TV uncovered several local doctors who are accused of the practice, based on results of a government audit. The report said Medicare paid $23 million on such claims in one year, and that 251 providers out of about 1 million nationwide were considered by the inspector general as having a high number of claims for dead patients in 2011.
The TV station’s report said eight providers are from metro Atlanta:
- Atlanta Oxygen
- Carmichaels, Monroe
- Care Medical, Gainesville
- Clinical Laboratory Services, Winder
- Optimum Health Management, Lawrenceville
- Professional Medical Home Healthcare, Stone Mountain
- Two doctors at University Cancer and Blood Center, Athens