More than 400 children will have a merrier Christmas thanks to the efforts of the Winder Fire Department.
The department's 2011 Empty Stocking Drive provided gifts for a total of 427 children — 195 orders through Barrow Holiday Connection, a volunteer effort of local schools, churches, the Department of Family and Children’s Services and Family Connection/ Communities in Schools, and 232 department applications.
"Even in these difficult financial times the citizens of Winder and our business community opened their hearts for our Empty Stocking Drive," Winder Fire Chief Matt Whiting said in a news release. "All of us are blessed to work in a community where giving is a way of life."
The Winder Fire Department would like to thank the following:
- Residents of Winder
- Publix in Winder
- Villas of Winder
- Barrow Regional Medical Center Auxiliary
- Jug Tavern Square Dancers
- Park Place, Windermere, Brighton Pointe, Paris Pointe, Waverly Place, St. Ives, Chestnut Ridge, Overlook and Bellingrath Plantation subdivisions
- Phillips Transitions Center in Buford
- Russell Middle School Beta Club
- Family Dollar Store
- Dollar General Store
- Those who provided cash and toy donations
Have you helped those in need this holiday season? If so, tell us how in comments below.