News Nearby: Teen Who Suffered Allergic Food Reaction Dies
Jahrell Dillard, 15, of Lawrenceville, died Wednesday after he suffered an allergic reaction to a cookie he bit into at the Walmart in Loganville.
Officials confirm that a teen who suffered an allergic reaction to something he ate at Walmart on Tuesday, Aug. 16, died the following day at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.
"Fifteen-year-old old Jahrell Dillard, of Lawrenceville, was at the Walmart in Loganville Tuesday when he picked up a cookie and took a bite," said Detective David Hunt of the Loganville Police Department. "The cookie contained peanuts and, having a history of allergies to peanuts, he went into anaphylatic shock and succumbed to the effects."
Hunt said the police department has concluded its investigation.
"The family was aware of his allergies and reported a history of asthma and allergies to peanuts," Hunt said, adding there would be no further investigation by the LPD. "We offer our prayers for the comfort of the family."
Loganville firefighters and Walton County Emergency Medical Services Unit Med 4 responded to the call from Walmart on Tuesday evening and transported Dillard to Walton Regional Medical Center. He was then lifeflighted to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, where he died the following day.
Loganville Fire Chief Danny Roberts said it is not uncommon for the department to receive calls for such a severe reaction to a food allergy, especially peanuts. According to Wikipedia, hypersensitivity to a dietary substance from peanuts can cause an overreaction of the immune system, which in a small percentage of people may lead to severe physical symptoms, including anaphylaxis.