News Around the Region: Two Critically Injured in Accident, Officer Struck by Suspected Drunk Driver and Human Remains Found in Wooded Area
Read top stories from Patch sites across Georgia.
Two Critically Injured in Vehicle Accident — Cumming Patch
Two people were critically injured Friday afternoon following a head-on collision on Canton Highway (Highway 20) near Business Drive in northwest Forsyth County.
Linda D. Pollard, 75, of Big Canoe located in Pickens County, was traveling westbound on Canton Highway in her 2005 Honda Pilot when she crossed over the center turn lane into the eastbound lane, according to Cpl. David Garrison of the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office. When she crossed over, she slammed head-on into a Ford F350 van, driven by Howard B. Nichelson, 61, of Canton, who tried to stop but was unable to.
Garrison said the impact of the collision caused both drivers to be entrapped in their vehicles.
An Atlanta police officer is at Grady Hospital in serious condition after a suspected drunk driver hit him on the exit ramp on Interstate 75 at Northside Parkway late Friday evening.
Officer Osbert Beckles, who is expected to survive, is being treated for head and chest injuries along with broken bones according to APD spokesman John Chafee.
Human Remains Found in Wooded Area — Midtown Patch
A medical examiner confirmed Saturday that remains found Friday on Atlanta’s west side are those of a human being.
Atlanta police spokesman John Chafee said officers responded to the area of Marietta Boulevard and Chattahoochee Avenue late Friday afternoon, where the remains were discovered by several people walking in a wooded area near Crest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery.
You might be interested in reading:
- News Around the Region This Week for Dec. 31-Jan. 4
- News Around the Region: Firefighters Rescue Deer, Balloons Cause Power Outage and Embattled School Board Member Resigns
- News Around the Region: Video of School Board Member Striking Teen in Parking Lot Released, Assistant Solicitor Fired and Carjacked Vehicle Strikes Home
- News Around the Region: Tucker Store Burns to Ground, Man Killed Trying to Flee Gunman and Argument Leads to Multiple Stabbings
- News Around the Region: Bartow School Board Member Allegedly Strikes Student With Car, Bank Robbery Suspect Dies and Atlanta Police Issue Celebratory Gunfire Warning