News Around the Region: Grayson Teen Murdered, Child Threatened in Oconee and Reward Offered for Information on Cartersville Killing
A look at top stories from Patch sites across Georgia.
Police Following up on Leads in Murder of Grayson Teen — Loganville Patch
Gwinnett County police worked overnight at the home of a Grayson teen who was shot to death Wednesday afternoon. Cpl. Jake Smith identified the victim as 14-year-old Paul Sampleton, a freshman at Grayson High School. Police said his father came home at about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday to find his son's body in their Grayson home on Haynescrest Drive and called police.
Smith said there was evidence of a robbery, but that they were not sure whether the teen was targeted or had walked in on a robbery.
Walton County Sheriff's Office put out an alert for information about a white male who reportedly threatened a juvenile on her way to the bus stop on Dec. 14.
According to a WCSO alert, the subject reportedly approached a juvenile outside her residence as she was going to the bus stop and said he could “rape and kill” the juvenile without anyone knowing about it.
Hunter Causes Scare at School — Canton-Sixes Patch
A bow hunter on property near Mountain Road Elementary had the school's administrative team activating a "Code Red" alert that diverted buses to an area high school, locked down the school and brought police to the scene.
At 6:50 a.m. the administrative staff responded to the sighting of a man believed to be carrying a weapon near the school.
Family, Friends Offer $3K Reward in Car Wash Slaying — Cartersville Patch
Family and friends of R.J. Statler, the Cartersvilleman shot and killed Sunday night at Sun Glo Car Wash, are offering a collective $3,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible.
Word of the reward, which began at $1,000, came as Statler's family and friends gathered to honor the Canton native and 2002 graduate of nearby Cherokee High.
You might also be interested in reading:
- News Around the Region: Stabbing Goes Unnoticed, Body Found Behind Church and Mask-Wearing Man Scares Day Care Workers
- News From Around the Region: Abandoned Street Dog Travels 6,800 Miles, Snatch and Grab Turns Dangerous and Family Leaps From Burning Home
- News from Around the Region: Car Crashes Into Home, Man Goes Into 'Ape Mode' and Student Accused of Groping Classmate
- News from Around the Region: Man Dances Naked in Street, Suspects Still at Large after High-speed Chase and Man Treated for Rabies after Cat Attack
- News from Around the Region: Man found Dead in Car on 400, 'Cake Boss' Visits Woodstock and Marching Band to Perform Rose Parade Preview