News Around the Region: Firefighters Rescue Deer, Balloons Cause Power Outage and Embattled School Board Member Resigns
Read top stories from Patch sites across Georgia.
Firefighters Rescue Young Deer from Pond — Cumming Patch
A young doe is probably a lot warmer and dryer thanks to a group of rescuers who pulled her out of a storage pond at Fowler Park Wednesday.
Division Chief Jason Shivers of the Forsyth County Fire Department said emergency crews were alerted around 11 a.m. that the doe, about a year old, was in the pond and that she had been in the water since Monday, Dec. 31.
"The staff at the Fowler Water Treatment Plant saw her in that pond and thought that she would get herself out," he said.
Mylar Balloons Cause Power Outage — Buckhead Patch
Wednesday afternoon, about 355 Georgia Power customers lost power for about 30 to 50 minutes.
According to Georgia Power, the 30-minute power loss was due to balloons that were tangled in power lines.
The mylar type of balloons conduct electricity and can cause a fault on the line that would result in damage or an outage, explained Georgia Power spokesman John Kraft.
Embattled School Board Member Resigns — Cartersville Patch
The Bartow school board member accused of striking a teen in the parking lot of a Cartersville Walmart has resigned.
On Jan. 3, Bartow County school board District 3 representative and vice chairman Angie Cornett resigned her position on the board of education, Superintendent John Harper confirmed by phone.
Cornett cited "personal and family reasons," according to her letter of resignation.
You might also be interested in reading:
- News Around the Region: Video of School Board Member Striking Teen in Parking Lot Released, Assistant Solicitor Fired and Carjacked Vehicle Strikes Home
- News Around the Region: Tucker Store Burns to Ground, Man Killed Trying to Flee Gunman and Argument Leads to Multiple Stabbings
- News Around the Region: Bartow School Board Member Allegedly Strikes Student With Car, Bank Robbery Suspect Dies and Atlanta Police Issue Celebratory Gunfire Warning
- News Around the Region: Drag Racing Results in Crash, Former Tech Football Recruit Arrested and Taxi Driver Ordered to Remove Pants During Robbery
- News Around the Region: Utility Workers Say Man Shot at Them, Fight at Dacula Establishment Ends in Gunfire and Man Suspected of Killing Ex-wife