News Around the Region: Couple Found Guilty of Abusing Elderly Woman, Two Robbed on Georgia Tech Campus and Man Flees from Police
A look at top stories from Patch sites across Georgia.
Pair Guilty of Abuse, Sex Crimes Against 82-Year-Old Woman — Cartersville Patch
A Cartersville man and woman accused of abusing and sexually assaulting an elderly woman were deemed guilty Monday in Bartow County Superior Court, Assistant District Attorney Mickey Thacker said.
A jury found Mark Steven Kent, 52, guilty of aggravated sodomy and sexual battery after his co-defendant, Thelma Helen Riddle, 59, pleaded guilty to abusing an elderly person and testified against Kent in a deal with prosecuting attorneys.
Police Investigating Two Robberies on Georgia Tech Campus — Midtown Patch
The Georgia Tech Police Department is investigating a pair of armed robberies that occurred minutes apart on campus early Tuesday morning.
According to the GTPD, at approximately 1:30 a.m., a male student reported that as he was walking south on Brittain Drive towards Bobby Dodd Way, he noticed a man walking closely behind him.
The suspect approached the victim, displayed a handgun, and demanded the victim's belongings.
Gwinnett County Police are searching for a "possibly suicidal and homicidal" man that fled from police during a Jan. 11 traffic stop in Buford.
According to police, a uniform patrol officer stopped a silver 2003 VW Passat bearing Iowa tag 608ZBD at approximately 10:11 a.m. on Friday after the vehicle ran a red light at the intersection of Nelson Brogdon Boulevard and Buford Highway. After stopping the vehicle near the intersection of South Lee Street and Buford Highway, the officer informed the driver of the reason for the stop.
The driver presented a license identifying himself as Jeremiah Johnson, 33, of Fort Bragg, N.C. A check of the man's identification in state and national databases indicated Johnson had been reported missing out of Iowa and was accompanied by his 5-year-old son Johnnathan Johnson.
The database, according to police, also indicated Johnson was "possibly suicidal and homicidal and disappeared with his son during a custody dispute with the child's biological mother."
You might also be interested in reading:
- News Around the Region: Stolen Boat Found in Felon's Yard, One Killed in Shooting and Man Recovering from Multiple Gunshot Wounds
- News Around the Region: DUI Sentencing, Wrong Way Driver and Unexpected Presidential Help
- News Around the Region This Week for Jan. 7-11, 2013
- News Around the Region: 'Friend' Snatches Money from Bra, Pastor No Longer on Inauguration Program and Traffic Stop Ends in Sex Trafficking Arrest
- News Around the Region: Thieves Smash Stolen Vehicle Into Liquor Store, 200 Jobs Coming to Metro Area and Robber Thwarted by Screaming Woman