Barrow County Grade Level Winners Selected for Young Georgia Authors’ Writing Competition
Thirteen Barrow County students will move on to the district level of the competition.
Barrow County Schools have recognized 13 students — one in each grade level — as winners in the Young Georgia Authors’ Writing Competition.
The contest is sponsored by the Georgia Department of Education to encourage students to develop writing that represents their best efforts, to provide a context for schools to support and celebrate the writing successes for all students and to encourage and recognize student achievement in writing throughout Georgia.
School system level winners are:
- Kindergarten — Tybee Graden, "A Princess and Blueberries", Kennedy Elementary School
- First grade — Kassidi Bagley, "A Fish Tale", County Line Elementary School
- Second grade — Zane Peeler, "The Big Fish Story", Bramlett Elementary School
- Third grade — Abigail Bugg, "John has the Gift", Bethlehem Elementary School
- Fourth grade — Natalie Rodriguez, "As the Rain Poured", Yargo Elementary School
- Fifth grade — Helen Bryant, "Addie in the Attic", Bramlett Elementary School
- Sixth grade — Maggie Sears, "13 Strikes at Midnight", Russell Middle School
- Seventh grade — Emily Bailey, "Conformity", Haymon-Morris Middle School
- Eighth grade — Haley Williams, "History Repeats Itself", Haymon-Morris Middle School
- Ninth grade — Sam Meadows, "The Doughnut Shop", Winder-Barrow High School
- 10th grade — Jessica Shreve, "Lack of Inspiration", Apalachee High School
- 11th grade — Sarah Gunter, "Untitled", Apalachee High School
- 12th grade — Jessie Walls, "No Shoes, No Shirt ... No Problems?", Apalachee High School
The winning selections from each grade level have been sent to the Georgia Department of Education to be entered in the Northeast Georgia RESA district and state-level writing competition.