County 911 Communication Center Receives 3,291 Calls from Nov. 18-24, Including Report of Gas Leak that Shut Down Roadway
Firefighters with Barrow County Emergency Services responded to 134 incidents.
Communication officers with Barrow County Emergency Services received 3,291 calls into the 911 communication center from Nov. 18 through 24, with public safety personnel responding to a total of 926 incidents.
Firefighters were dispatched to 134 incidents, which included the following:
- On Nov. 20, construction crews working on Atlanta Highway near Pleasant Hill Church Road hit a gas line, which caused a leak. Communication officers received the 911 call at 9:14 a.m. and dispatched Engine 1, Med 1 and Battalion 1. Atlanta Highway was shut down until gas line workers could control the leak.
- Communication officers received a 911 call on Nov. 21 reporting a fire at 713 Bankhead Highway. Engine 7, Engine 4, Med 7, Battalion 1 and Car 2 responded to the incident. Firefighters found a fire in insulation that was stored in the business waiting for shipping. A company fire brigade had the fire under control upon arrival of county firefighters. Crews worked with the brigade in moving all insulation to the parking lot and completely extinguishing the fire.
- At 5:20 p.m. Nov. 23, communication officers received a 911 call reporting a cooking fire in the 200 block of Angies Way. Engine 3, Ladder Truck 7, Med 3 and Battalion 1 responded. Firefighters found the fire had started in the oven and was out upon arrival. The cause of the fire was determined to be a buildup of grease on the bottom of the oven. Residents are reminded that they need to keep all parts of a stove clean and free of grease buildup.
- At 11:26 p.m. Nov. 24, firefighters were dispatched to the 1000 block of Clacktown Road for a possible structure fire. Engine 3, Engine 1, Med 3 and Battalion 1 responded to this incident. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke in the residence caused by a fire in the chimney of the home. The cause of the fire was a buildup of creosote in the chimney. Residents are reminded to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected annually.