Barrow Patch's Top 10 Most Popular Local Stories and Posts from 2012
Ring in 2013 by checking out the top 10 local stories and posts from the past year.
It's been an interesting year for crime-related stories, which make up much of the list of most popular local stories and posts, but there are a few non-crime related posts that made the top 10, as well.
1. Bethlehem Resident Proposes to Girlfriend with Christmas Lights — A "good news" story takes the top spot. A local post — with photos — about a Barrow County resident who proposed to his girlfriend using Christmas lights was featured on the AOL homepage, making it the year's most popular story.
2. Winder Resident Says Woman Flashed Children — An Auburn resident was arrested in September and charged with indecent exposure after a Winder resident reported her 3- and 4-year-old children were exposed to the woman's bare breasts.
3. Winder Man Calls 911 to Report Being Invisible — A 28-year-old Winder man called 911 in February and said he was invisible. According to Barrow County Detention Center records, the caller had prior arrests for criminal trespass and failure to appear.
4. Man Reports Being Threatened with Pistol after Asking for Directions — In May, a Winder resident called police to report being threatened with a pistol after asking a stranger for directions at the Barrow County Health Department.
5. Letter to the Editor: Barrow County School System Changes are Mind Blowing — A Bethlehem resident submitted this letter to the editor in July after being told her sixth-grader could no longer ride a bus because the family lives too close to the school. As a result of an outcry from parents, the Barrow County Board of Education reversed a decision to implement "parental responsibility zones."
6. Two Children Left on the Side of the Road in Winder — A sanitation worker picked up two children in Winder in July after their mother kicked them out of the car and threw their belongings on the road, Winder police said.
7. Woman Charged with Public Indecency after Running Down Street Wearing No Pants — A 47-year-old Braselton woman faced multiple charges following a Sept. 1 incident in Winder during which an officer attempted to execute a traffic stop and then observed the woman running away wearing no pants.
8. Winder Resident Reports Woman Used His Bathroom then Stole Meats from His Refrigerator — In April, a Winder man told police he let a woman enter his residence to use the bathroom and she repaid the favor by helping herself to meats from his refrigerator, including ham, pork chops and bacon.
9. Varsity Restaurant Coming to Gateway Station off 316 — It was confirmed in October that a Varsity restaurant will be built at Gateway Station off Ga. Highway 316 in Bethlehem.
10. Barrow County to Move to 160-day School Year — Despite approving a 2012-13 school calendar in January 2012, the Barrow County Board of Education voted in May to move to a 160-day school year. Bell schedules also changed.
Which of these stories do you think was the top Barrow County story from 2012 was? Tell us in comments.